Gold standard in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis, Anatomopathology is on the way to it’s Digital evolution.
Slides scanners are becoming more and more efficient and effective and compliant clinical workflows are elaborated in pioneer Pathology departments and hospitals. The path towards integrative approaches in Digital Pathology is open, by supporting the key role of Whole Slide Image in the integration of heterogeneous knowledge used day by day by the pathologist in daily practice.
In line with recent advances of molecular imaging and genetics, keeping the microscopic modality at the core of the future digital systems in pathology is fundamental to insure the acceptance of these new technologies, as for a deeper systemic, structured comprehension of the pathologies. At the scale of routine Whole Slide Image (WSI), the microscopical image represents a structured “genomic cluster”, enabling a naturally structured integration of these heterogeneous data, a natural stuctured support for Integrative Digital Pathology (IDP) approaches.
Supporting the key role of Pathologist by Integrative Digital Pathology initiatives is the main objective of the academic European Society of Integrative Digital Pathology we created.
This initiative – open to medical, academia and industrial participation and contributions – is fostering the emergence of compliant protocols, standards, by accelerating the dissemination and the education around these concepts and technologies in Europe and beyond.
Our actions non-exhaustively and non-exclusively support Computational Approaches in Pathology:
- Personalised medecine approaches around the key role of Pathology.
- Ethical reinforcement through traceable, dynamic and personalised second opinion.
- Research projects and benchmarking initiatives in Integrative Digital Pathology areas.
- Consolidate validation referential protocols and database for Digital Pathology.
- Acceptance of high-content imaging computation technologies in clinical routine.
- Massive visual data representation, indexing, storage, retrieval, management and understanding.
- Morphological micro-semiology (microscopical morphology semantics).
- Correlation between and integration of digital pathology and non-invasive medical imaging modalities.
- Model-based correlation and integration of traditional staining and label free technologies.
We do believe that our action is essential for the whole medical, scientific and industrial community, for the final benefit of the quality of care and life of the patients.